Position: Water Safety Instructor
Location: 287 East 10th St. New York, NY 10009
Salary Range: 25.00 per hour
Summer Schedule: 6 Weeks-July 1, - August 9; 25-35 hours per week
Employment Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York (BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys and young men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportive community. BCNY provides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional, health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members in meaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positive qualities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
The Water Safety Instructor is responsible for attentively and safely providing swimming instruction, facilitating swimming activities to fulfill program goals, and building relationships among members and staff.
• Facilitate Red Cross ‘Learn to Swim’ programs for members ages 6-21
• As directed by the Aquatics Director, develop cooperative age-appropriate swimming pool activities
• Ensure that activity plans are implemented as scheduled and that participants improve
• Take initiative, provide problem-solving, and respond appropriately, to participant situations in swimming pool areas
• Ensure that all necessary reports are completed on a daily basis
• Use behavior management strategies to defuse inappropriate behavior
• Attend required department meetings and professional development training
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 1-year experience as a pool lifeguard, instructor, or comparable
• Demonstrated leadership experience in an educational, social service and/or youth development setting
• Familiarity with principles of supervision, organization, and maintenance
• Current Water Safety Certification from the American Red Cross required
• Previous experience working with children required
• First Aid and CPR Certification required
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer.