New York, NY
New York, NY
Active Wellness Internship Program is intended to offer upper division and graduate students the opportunity for continued professional growth and the development of relevant skills, complimenting their academic preparation and better preparing them for future employment within this field. The program is structured to encompass every aspect of fitness testing, programming and training, wellness, health education, management and administration, exposing the student to the most current technology and available information through our growing network of health clubs and wellness facilities.
- Achieve skills and competencies in fitness and wellness programming, including exercise testing, exercise prescription, private training, group exercise, recreation, and special events.
- Develop abilities in providing health education and promotion through oral and written presentations, community involvement and ergonomics.
- Gain knowledge of facility supervision, equipment operation and maintenance, club operations, policies and procedures.
- Execute administrative functions including data gathering and reporting, budget development, human resource functions and computer skills.
- Attain advanced decision making and problem solving skills by leading a group exercise class, coordinating and marketing a special event, and managing independent contractors.
- Enhance individual professional development by understanding principles of club organization, time management, effective communication, industry trends and current issues, legalities.
- Working knowledge of basic exercise/health education principles, including completed coursework in: Anatomy and Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics/Kinesiology and general Nutrition course.
- Effective written and interpersonal skills.
- Junior or senior status in college preferred.
- Overall GPA of upper division coursework of "B" average or higher (3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
- Current adult CPR certification
- Referral by University or College Advisor.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Willingness to circulate around the fitness center to assist members in need.
- Completion of an Exercise Physiology Practicum or Laboratory course.
- Current personal training certificate from an Active Sports Clubs-recognized (or approved) professional organization (if training is conducted during the internship), with a history of case studies and familiarity of cardiovascular disease and risk factors.
- Minimum of eight (8) weeks, hours varies and flexible.
- Unpaid Internship.
This position is currently accepting applications.