The 50 Foot View: Your Role as a Coach
Nerd Fitness Coaching is an online health and fitness program that combines the best of one-on-one training – expertise and program customization – with the accountability and support of the Nerd Fitness online community to help members get healthy in a sustainable, permanent way. We work with clients to balance fitness, nutrition, and mindset to help them reach goals they thought were once unattainable. You can read some success stories here, here, and here.
Our Coaching program currently has over a dozen Coaches and hundreds of clients, and uses a proprietary Nerd Fitness Coaching app that enables us to serve clients in a way that suits our unique offering. Our strategy as a company includes deep concentration and commitment to the program’s growth in 2019 and beyond.
While it is not your responsibility to find new clients, it will be your responsibility to lead and inspire the clients assigned to you in a way that feels personal and customized to their particular needs and goals. You’ll chat with them most frequently through our app’s messenger, but you’ll also make phone and video calls. You will be expected to be proactive about protecting the clients on your roster from losing momentum and ultimately quitting. We do not offer a one-size-fits-all approach, and your Coaching style must meet be adaptable to meet clients where they are.
Each Coach on our team serves a minimum of 70 clients. Your roster growth will be gradual but demanding, as the first month of a client’s journey with us is the most labor-intensive as you get to know one another and set up programming.
Having many years of in-person Coaching experience will lay the foundation of success in this role, but the skill set needed to thrive as an online Coach is much greater than programming and form checks. Clients do not meet you for an hour, do a workout, and go home. Because of the nature of connection via the app, the role of an online Coach requires elite communication skills, understanding of behavioral psychology, and a willingness to be more involved in the day to day success of your clients. We don’t go outside our scope of practice, but the demands of online Coaching are different than what you may expect at a gym (though our hours don’t start at 5am).
We train you in the procedures, practices, and client retention strategies that have allowed Nerd Fitness Coaching to grow at such an outstanding pace so far. You will have continued, direct support from the Nerd Fitness team and brainstorm new, exciting ideas with the entire Nerd Fitness Coaching staff – a powerful hive mind and support group. You may be working by yourself at home, but you will never feel alone!
This job is hard. We have aggressive goals, very high expectations, and no time for excuses. The flip side? We all genuinely care and support one another, and we are making a real difference on the lives of hundreds of people in our Rebellion – soon thousands. And the most exciting part of all? We’re just getting started.
Our most successful Coaches have these internal strengths in common:
- Fitness AND Nutrition education and training in one or more of the following: Nationally accredited Personal Trainer certification; College degree in a related field; Nutritional coaching certification (like Precision Nutrition); Any related seminars or certifications.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a personal trainer, online or in person, with consistently stellar reviews from your clients and superiors.
- High level of organization and structure to the day and to each process in managing client needs.
- Strong internal motivation to meet and exceed goals. While we talk regularly as a team, no one is watching over you all day, so you should be able to self-start and keep a narrow focus on your KPIs.
- Very comfortable with technology, troubleshooting problems, adapting to new systems, and have a knack for teaching it to others.
- Willing to work some nights and weekends, as we have clients from around the world who need to connect as their schedules permit.
- Appreciation of structure, but can also go with the flow. As this new program expands, systems and processes continue to evolve and change. We expect all Coaches to be able to ride (and enjoy!) the wave while also contributing ideas to make us better as a team.
- Office setup conducive to working from home – including computer, smartphone, and reliable internet – and can stay on track despite personal distractions.
- A problem-solving attitude. We fill our team with problem solvers, not problem finders.
And also these skills with clients:
- Confidence in outlining and delivering a plan for each client that balances fitness, nutrition, and mindset that meets clients where they are in relation to their skill and motivation.
- Ability to empathize with clients; they can meet clients’ tone and need for emotion vs. logic both on a call or through text exchanges.
- No hesitation in jumping on a phone or video call with a client who is struggling, then digging to find the root cause instead of treating the symptoms. Hear what clients aren’t saying.
- They help each client identify their own superpowers and kryptonite and use that information to help them stay on track and accountable.
- Great communication skills, both spoken and written. Our best Coaches are easy to talk to, inspire others, and people trust them to have their best interest in mind.
- Experience selling memberships or services to clients. You won’t be responsible for sales in a Coaching role, but this type of experience has proven important when genuinely reminding clients why Coaching is valuable if they express interest in leaving.
Additional preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Familiar with Nerd Fitness philosophy, content, and communication style. You’re a reader/subscriber/adopter of our content.
- Experience or training in behavioral psychology.
- Consistent schedule with availability primarily during weekdays, but occasionally nights and weekends.
- Extreme attention to detail and a master at keeping information organized. Admin upkeep will be as important as strong coaching ability in this role.
- Self-starter, and familiar with working from home.