City of Germantown public servants exist, first and foremost, to protect and enhance the quality of life of those we serve; every position on the Germantown team has a shared responsibility and accountability to fulfill this purpose. Through the constant alignment of individual actions, behaviors and performance with our organization’s values system, Germantown public servants demonstrate a steadfast commitment to our greater mission of Excellence. Every day. As a mission-driven, values-centered organization, the expectation for senior leaders is to model ‘The Germantown Way’ at all times for those they influence and interact with daily.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Under administrative direction, oversee all aspects of the City’s health and fitness facility, including fiscal control and operations responsibilities, developing and maintaining quality programs and services for its members, sales and marketing of the Club and its programs, and providing and assessing the quality of customer service standards. Provide vision and direction to staff to ensure that members receive the best possible service and innovative, high quality programming.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise staff including selection, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining and termination. Effectively schedule staff to handle the Club usage and to control costs.
- Create, establish and implement key business initiatives in department business plan to drive the success of the Club and meet revenue goals with assistance of other City departments and the Athletic Club Advisory Commission.
- Establish and maintain operating policies, standards and procedures in concert with city policies, including safety protocols and procedures within the facility.
- Manage the Club’s financial activities. Monitor expenditures for operational efficiency; forecast revenues and facility improvement needs to prepare budget estimates; and oversee payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing activities to ensure adherence to City policies.
- Oversee the care, maintenance and replacement of all facility physical assets and equipment, inspecting daily to ensure proper operation, cleanliness and sanitation of all facilities and environments. Provide direction on infrastructure replacement and capital improvements needed for the facility.
- Develop and administer marketing plans and strategies designed to increase membership and maximize revenues. Network within the community to increase public awareness of the Club amenities and programs.
- Conduct comprehensive industry and competitive analysis to determine competitive benchmarks. Conduct community/membership surveys and translate member needs, market changes and competitive initiative into requirements for new programs and services.
- Establish, initiate and monitor customer service standards designed to develop stronger sales and customer service skills which results in member satisfaction and retention.
- Analyze financial data and establish fee and rate structures that are competitive and meet operating and capital budget demands.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and technologies to ensure that all fitness programs and equipment are cutting edge and competitive, providing members with a variety of popular fitness/leisure activities.
- Manage the various Club service and maintenance contracts, including evaluating proposals and bids, negotiating and recommending contract terms, evaluating performance and ensuring compliance to contract agreements.
- Evaluate spatial demands for equipment and activities and allocate space accordingly.
- Handle customer complaints, resolving disputes and ensuring customer satisfaction and continued membership at the Club.
- Must be punctual and timely in meeting all job performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance and tardiness standards and work deadlines.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Perform related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current fitness industry trends, programs and equipment.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control mechanisms.
- Knowledge of facility operations and maintenance
- Knowledge of marketing strategies, processes and available resources.
- Basic computer skills to utilize membership and financial software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a broad spectrum of the community.
- Effective leadership skills to motivate, manage and develop staff to achieve sales targets and ensure the efficient running of the Club.
- Ability to define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and recommend solutions.
- Ability to build relationships with members and generate excitement for Club services and programs.
- Ability to handle and resolve customer conflicts in a professional, tactful manner.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and reports, and contract documents.
- Ability to plan and schedule the work of others.