The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is looking for an experienced individual who will display outstanding customer service and supervise the strength & cardiovascular areas of the Healthy Lifestyles department, by providing safe and appropriate fitness information and instruction to members.
- Provide a high degree of member service through a professional relationship with members in regard to their needs, concerns, and questions about the YMCA, its programs and mission.
- Awareness of current fitness programs and trends.
- Assist members in effectively utilizing equipment.
- Monitor fitness area to ensure compliance with YMCA of Greater New York policies and procedures.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Update appointment book and confirm existing appointments on every shift.
- Monitor all equipment and report any problems to supervisor.
- Maintain cleanliness and neatness of fitness center, including wiping down equipment, picking up floor trash and re-racking free weights daily.
- Have a thorough knowledge of Branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for Healthy Lifestyles department emergency situations.
- Adhere to the YMCA of Greater New York Healthy Lifestyles Standards and Guidelines, and Y-USA Medical Advisory Recommendations.
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments.
- Maintain certifications required for the position.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Experience working in a health and fitness environment.
- Current CPR/First Aid/AED certifications.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Floor Trainer” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Attn.: Sabrina Snyder
138-46 Northern Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11354
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.