The Yale Club of New York City is conveniently located in the heart of midtown Manhattan right across the street from Grand Central Station and a short walking distance from Port Authority in Times Square, which makes it a perfect location for commuters.
The Yale Club was formed in 1897 to maintain a clubhouse for the use and benefit of alumni from Yale University. The idea behind the Club was to promote the frequent meeting and continuation of fellowship and traditions. We are the only Yale Club with a physical building. Our grand 22-story building opened its doors in 1915 and has become a home away from home for thousands of Yale alumni over the past century and now welcomes 14,000 members and reciprocal members. We strive daily to make these experiences memorable.
Our staff is a group of dedicated, high performing professionals who make the Club a special place for members and foster an enjoyable work environment for all. In joining our team, you become a part of our long-standing tradition of providing exceptional experiences for our members and guests and belonging to a team that believes in fostering a supportive, positive, and productive environment. The Club is committed to doing good work and supporting others and our community. Anyone who joins the Club is joining a group of people who care about people.
The Yale Club of New York City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The Yale Club makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs.
The Fitness and Wellness Director is responsible for the overall operations of the fitness facility, with primary oversight of the operating standards, systems and practices as they directly impact the overall excellence of the department. The Fitness and Wellness Director will be the face of the fitness facility and will consistently provide excellent service and support to our athletics package holders and their guests. The individual must be a dynamic leader passionate about fitness and wellness who will foster growth within the Yale Club fitness community and elevate our programs and member experience.
The ideal candidate has a great presence, is a people person, approachable, possesses a can do attitude, understands equity, inclusion, and diversity and has the ability to inspire and motivate a team.
- Create a safe and welcoming community within the Fitness and Squash Center.
- Communicate the needs and direction of the Fitness and Squash Center to members, management, and governance clearly and with confidence.
- Interact one on one with members in a fashion that underscores the congenial atmosphere of the Fitness and Squash Center.
- Thoughtfully engage members while upholding rules and regulations.
- Partner with the Squash Director to incorporate the unique value of Squash for the Club when planning for the Fitness and Wellness programs.
- Create new programs to build a wellness community within the Club and generate excitement around the use of the Fitness and Squash Center.
- Oversee all financial aspects of the fitness operations, including working with other department heads and supervisors as needed to ensure that the financial performance of the fitness department meets budget.
- Select, hire, coach, mentor and train fitness department employees in a manner that reinforces the Club’s values and philosophies.
- Oversee all operating practices, polices, fitness programming, marketing practices and systems that are necessary for achieving the department’s and Club’s strategic and business plan goals.
- Responsible for the total service experience, gym equipment, programming and staff development including scheduling, training, motivating, discipline and overall management of the fitness facility.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and overseeing safe and effective exercise classes for the Yale Club Fitness Center within budget. Coordinate instructor meetings when necessary.
- Evaluate current class instructors and independent personal trainers, maintain a personal file for each, and monitor status of current certifications and certificates.
- Ensure that all group exercise instructors create class environments that exemplify enthusiasm, energy, and safety, meeting member service standards.
- Ensure that all instructors and personal trainers uphold and follow expectations and guidelines established by the Club.
- Track class attendance and averages to review during the monthly Athletic Committee meeting.
- Oversee the financial success of the fitness department through: correct pricing of services, monitoring and management of employees’ payroll and lesson payments, daily and monthly audits of sales, forecasting department performance on a monthly basis.
- Create, coordinate, and sell fitness programs and services ensuring that the Club programs meet the needs of membership and drive member participation in such a manner as to create and enhance member retention
- Coordinate Athletics Committee meetings, advice, and facilitate policy decisions regarding operations and maintenance of the department including exercise classes, fitness programs, tournaments, etc.
- Supervise maintenance of gym exercise and studio equipment, machines, and training tools and coordinate service calls, internally or externally, if the equipment needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Responsible for all communications and marketing related to the fitness facility. Work with the Marketing team to accomplish marketing goals.
- Greet all members warmly, enthusiastically and by name (smiling, eye contact), maintaining an atmosphere that motivates long-term participation and member retention.
- Responsible for handling member complaints and concerns quickly and effectively.
- In partnership with the Executive Housekeeper, responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the 5th and 6th floors.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the General Manager and the Chair of the Athletics Committee.
- Innovative: Possess unique and creative fitness and wellness ideas. Have an in-depth understanding of current fitness and wellness trends, including any technology needed to support these initiatives. Must possess the confidence to explore innovative concepts.
- Develop: Exhibit a broad knowledge and experience base and develop the existing team to the level of a high-performing department. Ability to build a strong system with clear processes for outside contractors.
- Delegate: In tandem with developing the team, the individual must be comfortable with delegating existing projects to focus on the next big idea.
- Execute: Proven ability to create successful campaigns and develop athletics programs to recruit and retain new members resulting in significant increases.
- Evaluate: The individual must have experience with budgets, financial reporting and demonstrate a complete understanding of fitness and wellness to be able to make recommendations and take actions that focus attention on what is working for the programs.