Director, User Research
New York, NY
New York, NY
Director, User Research
We are a company with integrated luxury and lifestyle offerings centered on Movement, Nutrition and Regeneration. In addition to Equinox, our other brands, Blink, Pure Yoga, SoulCycle, Furthermore, and Equinox Hotels are all recognized for inspiring and motivating members and employees to maximize life. Within our portfolio of brands, we have more than 200 locations within every major city across the United States in addition to London, Toronto, & Vancouver.
We are passionate about high performance living and we practice what we preach - investing time in our own health and fitness. We believe that everyone has untapped potential within them and it takes a disruptive approach to unleash it. We dream big and don't settle for the status quo. We sweat the details. We never accept less than 110% to help each other deliver the Equinox experience and enable our members to get great results. We are obsessed with what's new, what's now, what's next. Never following, always leading, living ahead of the moment in fashion, culture and consumer behavior. We aren't just a company; we're a community vested in each other's success. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company.
If you are a high performing individual who is passionate about winning and inspiring others then we are excited to discuss career opportunities with you.
Help us get out of our own heads! Equinox is seeking a Director, User Research to create and lead the usability testing and product research function for a new business that sits at the intersection between digital and physical. As the Director, User Research, you'll report to the Chief Product Officer and be responsible for qualitative insights and analysis that drive product decisions. A part of the product leadership team, the successful candidate will be able to set up and run the function from scratch, operating first as an individual contributor, and eventually managing a small team of analysts.
- Create the UX research function for the team - build a UX research lab, set strategy, processes, best practices, test protocols, logistics, space/hardware requirements, sourcing participants, synthesis, and recommendations.
- Collaborate with teammates in product management, design, and engineering on what and when to test.
- Scope and personally execute the research using a variety of techniques including interviews, usability testing, and surveys. This includes sourcing and facilitation.
- Anticipate the future needs of our members. You will actively shape, not just respond to the way people interact with our product.
- Build a deep understanding of the different members and prospects by being thoughtful about your own fitness journey, whatever that means to you.
- Present findings/analysis/recommendations to the team and company executives. At times, synthesize these into polished deliverables (e.g., presentations, journey maps, empathy maps).
- Create/cultivate a user panel of our members.
- Share techniques and approaches with other researchers from different backgrounds and disciplines, and grow your skills by learning from them too.
- May manage a small team of direct reports
To succeed in the position, you will need:
- Start-up mentality - fast-paced, bias for action.
- Customer-obsessed approach.
- Deep sense of empathy, rooted in authentic emotional connection
- Minimum 5-7 years in user research for digital products
- Strong data analysis and storytelling skills with a keen grasp of statistical concepts
- History of successful collaboration with product/design/engineering teams
- Ability to proactively draw out what needs to be user tested, rather than waiting for other teams to come to you.
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to boil down complex concepts into actionable insights.
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Positive, Results-Oriented Attitude
Bonus points for:
- Personal passion for fitness and/or fit-tech
- Experience with user research for physical products
- Experience with third-party UX testing platforms like Usertesting.com and/or Validately.com.
AS A MEMBER OF THE EQUINOX TEAM YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- We offer competitive salary, benefits and industry leading commission opportunities for club employees
- Complimentary Club membership
- 30- 50% discounts on all Equinox products and services including Personal Training, Private Pilates, Spa and Café' services and Shop items
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the department.
Equinox is an equal opportunity employer. For more information regarding our career opportunities, please visit one of our clubs or our website at https://careers.equinox.com/
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Must have a legal right to work in the United States.