Ave Maria School of Law
Position Title: Director, Health and Wellness
Department: Facilities Administration
Reports to: Associate Dean, Finance, Facilities and Student Administration
Ave Maria Law is a Catholic law school holding a close fidelity to the Catholic Church and its teachings. Consistently, Ave Maria Law is recognized as the most devout Catholic Law School in the country, and the most conservative. Recently, Ave Maria Law has committed to also becoming the best law school in the country that forms not only mind and spirit, but also wellness and physical fitness.
The Director of Health and Wellness will be responsible for leading this new effort, creating an ethos of wellness and physical fitness throughout the law school community that will translate into life-long habits for our students, staff, and faculty. The Director will build a program that not only develops wellness and fitness, but also builds esprit de corps, team-building, leadership skills, and enhances a sense of belonging to a unique and spiritual community. Programs will include intramural and extramural (club) sports.
The Director will oversee the management of a new $2 Million Fitness Center and sports-field (under construction, completion date is summer 2019). Duties will include scheduling all programs and events, establishing and enforcing all operational procedures of the facility, supervising all maintenance, cleaning, safety procedures, and workers. The Director will also develop a system to on-board new facility users, oversee and perform personal training for students, faculty, and staff (including special population training—such as training for those who are obese, diabetic, or disabled), develop nutritional programs, and oversee a recreation and fitness center budget.
In addition to the primary roles and responsibilities described here, the Director must also respect and support the beliefs and values brought forth at Ave Maria Law. The Director must display a consistent energetic, helpful, and positive attitude. The Director is expected to support school activities and be a team-player. It is essential that the Director possess a hands-on, can-do attitude, where no job or task is beneath him/her. The Director will be the “face” of
the Ave Maria Law Moves program and must be a “Pied Piper”—serving as an example to students, faculty, and staff with regards to the importance of active living.
The Director of Health and Wellness will report to the Associate Dean of Finance, Facilities, and Student Administration, and will coordinate with the Associate Director of Admissions & Student Engagement.
Key Performance Evaluation Factors
1. Ability to exemplify and live the core values of Ave Maria Law
2. Ability to meet or exceed participation goals for students, faculty, and staff
3. Ability to fulfill essential duties and responsibilities
Experience & Knowledge
1. A passion for health and wellness and the ability to influence people in overcoming their obstacles to exercising and in making lifestyle changes.
2. Enjoys networking and building relationships.
3. Commitment to providing top notch customer service.
4. Computer-savvy and proficient in using programs such as Word & Excel.
5. Team player who approaches challenges in a creative and positive manner.
6. Experience in a Fitness environment focused on participation goals.
1. A degree in the field of physical education, exercise physiology athletic training, or related field.
2. Current National Fitness Certifications (NASM, ACE, ACSM, NSCA), C.P.R, AED and First Aide certifications.
3. 3 years of management experience in a fitness, hospitality or retail environment, including direct experience a college setting preferred.
4. Proven success developing and growing fitness programs and training.
5. Ability to work nights and/or weekends
The Ave Maria School of Law, providing legal education enriched by the Catholic Faith, seeks employees whose education, experience and beliefs are consistent with its mission. Ave Maria School of Law complies with federal and state laws regarding equal employment opportunity. Ave Maria School of Law encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Management reserves the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.