Assistant Fitness Director
Chevy Chase, MD
Chevy Chase, MD
The Assistant Fitness Director will be responsible for the daily operations of the facility including: group exercise, personal training, and special programming. The Assistant Fitness Director will help the Fitness Director develop programs and implement marketing and sales strategies. The Assistant Fitness Director will be responsible for training and scheduling staff, processing payroll, sales and marketing of memberships, facility management and supervising the staff in each area of the facility, ensuring the highest levels of guest satisfaction are attained, and using the ability to lead and motivate staff to achieve goals and exceed guest expectations.
- Will work with the Fitness Director and Front Desk Supervisor to develop a comprehensive standard facility operations manual, including written policies and procedures for all facility services, administration, and maintenance.
- Directly responsible for Group Exercise, Personal Training, Spa Services and special program billing.
- Submits all paperwork and financial reporting, including payroll, in accordance with Club Policy.
- Maintains a monthly inventory of supplies, equipment, and or products.
- Writes articles for the bi-monthly bulletin and for the Club website, when applicable.
- Monitors the Fitness Page on the Club Website to ensure the content is accurate and thorough.
- Works with the Communications Director to develop the Fitness Page of the Club Website.
- Monitors the digital signs to ensure displayed information is accurate. Provides the Communications Director relevant information needed to update the digital signs weekly.
- Works with the Communications Director to design, with the use of templates, forms, flyers, and promotional materials to be utilized in daily facility operations.
- Drafts a weekly email update from the Fitness Center to go out to the Membership to market programs and/or inform members of relevant information.
- Works with the Front Desk Supervisor to ensure operating check lists are performed daily.
- Responds to Member or Guest questions, comments or suggestions as needed.
- Creates a team of service providers to meet all aspects of professionalism and service demands.
- Maintains a fully staffed department and/or facility by recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training all staff.
- Ensures the staff is fully knowledgeable on the use and benefits of services, products, programs, and activities by conducting regularly scheduled staff meetings and training workshops.
- Ensures appropriate department and/or facility supervisory coverage through use of a Manager on Duty (MOD) system and participates in the MOD schedule.
- Assesses all department and/or facility employees' progress continually; coaches employees with positive reinforcement, and disciplines, when necessary, fairly and consistently; participates in annual performance evaluations, and, when necessary, assists in the termination process.
- Provides excellent customer service and monitors guest feedback through the use of email and other member care techniques. Supervises and follows up on member requests and comments.
- Ensures facility is only accessed by actual members and/or guests, and that it is safe and secure at all times.
- Creates and implements an effective marketing and public relations strategy in a timely manner.
- Conducts new member orientations including an introduction to the fitness center, facilities, services, programs, policies, and procedures.
- Develops member participation and recruitment plans; outlining in detail all promotions, fitness programs, and any expenditures.
- Conducts personal fitness evaluations and program orientations according to the Club's standards and procedures.
- Sets monthly goals for personal training and markets, promotes, sells, and tracks personal training.
- Ensures all employees are current in appropriate certifications.
- Maintains quality control of all programs - personal training, group exercise and massage therapy.
- Establishes tracking procedures for facility use and program participation.
- Works with the Front Desk staff and Supervisor to ensure all daily/guest fees and class fees are correctly charged.
- Prepares any incident or accident reports and forwards them to the Operations Director.
- Reviews and discusses any member suggestions with the Operations Director.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- College degree in Physical Education or related field preferred.
- Personal Training and Group Exercise certification from a nationally recognized agency such as ACE, AFFA, ASCM, NSCA, and NSPA.
- Four years of related or relevant experience.
- Marketing, Design, Public Relations experience preferred and will be seen as a plus.
- Current first aid, CPR, and other safety certifications when required by law.
- Minimum of one-year supervisory experience in a health facility setting
- Ability to demonstrate equipment use for exercise training
- Must be able to lift 45-pound weight plates
- Excellent customer service skills
- Efficient, well organized, and able to handle a variety of duties simultaneously
- Professional manner, discretion, and appearance
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational
- Effective leadership skills and strong work ethic
- Proficient in appropriate computer skills and office equipment
- Ability to learn a POS system, outline payroll and new hire program
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Awareness of proper body mechanics to prevent injury
- This position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time.
- This position required the ability to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, walk, and talk
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms
WTS International, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer that is committed to having a diverse work force.