The health and fitness industry in 2015 had total U.S. Revenues of $25.8 billion. (IHRSA 6/30/2016). Global industry revenues totaled 81 billion! The great news is, if you are planning on a career in the health and fitness industry there will be no shortage of opportunities at every stage of your career.
When searching for jobs, many candidates apply for jobs only in the mainstream of the industry, which are health clubs. But, there are an abundance of great jobs in seven other vertical markets. Check them out:
1. Medical Fitness Centers. There are over 1,000 medical fitness centers throughout the U.S. These are developed and run by hospital groups or health care systems. Great credibility and members who are serious about getting in shape.
2. Local municipalities/park and recreation departments now have excellent full blown gyms.
3. Golf and country clubs. 65% of private country clubs have some sort of fitness offering.
4. 55+ residential communities plus master planned communities all have great amenities with great aquatic and fitness offerings.
5. Hotels and resorts are all in the wellness game and have fitness and aquatic offerings.
6. Jewish Community Centers. Similar in concepts to what the YMCA’s offer.
7. Colleges and Universities now have mega facilities with phenomenal amenities.
Go to these facilities direct and apply. Don’t sit around and wait till you see their job postings online!